It has been 5 grueling months since the last time I was off island (short day trips to neighboring islands not included). The day I have been looking forward to for what seems to be forever is finally here. This island girl is leaving on a jet plane. Destination: Washington DC.
It is a known fact that I dress better when abroad and so packing is the highlight of my pre-travel routine. But since I am also traveling by myself with no husband to drag my heavy suitcases for me, I decided as a courtesy to my poor back to pack light or as light as I can.
In my suitcase:
- 4 t-shirts
- 2 dress shirt
- 3 long sleeves
- 2 tank tops
- 1 dress
- 2 leggings
- 1 pair of jeans
- 1 pair of comfy harem pants (Sooooo comfortable to travel in)
- 16 panties (Rule of thumb: 2 x the days you will be away which in my case is 8)
- 2 bras and 3 sports bras
- 6 pairs of socks
- 3 scarves
- 1 pair of sneakers for exploring, working out and hiking
- 1 pair of boots
- 1 pair of Converse sneakers
- 1 denim jacket
- 1 leather jacket
- 1 long cardigan
- Enough tampons, pantyliners and pads jus because you never know. Aunt Flo can be a sneaky little bitch sometimes.
- Gifts for the friends I’m visiting
Hair and skin products:
- 1 leave in conditioner to moisturize my hair in the DC weather. My hair becomes quite unruly in chilly weather and some type of moisturizer is a must.
- 1 small bottle of non-sulfate shampoo
- 1 small tube of conditioner
- 1 comb
- 1 brush
- 1 untangling brush
- 1 small tube of body lotion
- 1 pack of make up remover towelettes
In my backpack:
- Laptop for blogging of course and business although I intend not to do much of the latter.
- Tablet. My i-Pad is my entertainment system on planes. I got my favorite books downloaded here and at least two girly movies.
- My phone of course. What will I do without my travel apps?
- Selfie stick (I hate the damn thing but have learned that they are a necessary evil for bloggers)
- My Camera
- 1 trashy magazine for during lift off and descend
- Expandable custom jewelry and make up travel bag (Always pack your jewelry in your hand luggage).
- My passport
- A pashmina. This damn thing is just so versatile. You can wear it anyway or with anything.
- A pen
- My emergency pouch
In my emergency pouch:
- My toothbrush
- My deodorant
- 1 nail clipper
- 1 tweezer
- 1 razor
- 1 small tube of toothpaste
- My sleeping mask
- 1 tiny perfume sample
- 1 pair of underwear in case you get delayed or your flight is canceled
- Birth control pills
- Pain medications (Unfortunately my endometriosis travels with me wherever I go)
- Lip balm
- Heartburn chewables
- Eye drops
- 1 Tampon
- 1 pantyliner
- Anti diarrhea pills and stool softeners (You eat different when abroad and these pills can come in handy)
What is in your suitcase and where are you off to next?