Halloween is just behind us, Thanksgiving is looming, and it’s almost that time of the year again. Mariah Carey is back and everywhere I seem to go there is that dreaded first line of her hit song: “I don’t want a lot for Christmas”. Ugh, it has begun. I can practically hear those sleigh bells jingling and can almost taste the Guavaberry rum. Although it’s a time that most of us cheerfully anticipate and prepare for, Christmas time for the newly single might not be exactly a day to look forward to. I don’t know about you, but I dread the family gatherings, which will undoubtedly bring the awkward questions regarding my current marital status.
But I refuse to have a miserable Christmas just because I’m no longer part of a couple. Besides, the best part about Christmas is the presents anyway, right? And while Mariah may not want a lot for Christmas, thoughtful gifts under the tree with my name on it, seem like decent way to make up for the horrors of Christmas as a newly single person. Who’s with me? Believe me, I know it’s not easy, but trust me, I’ve been there, and I’ve come out the other side with a heart full of joy and a sack full of tips and tricks to make the season bright, regardless of your current Facebook status.
* Just a heads up: I want to be transparent with you. Some of the links on this blog are affiliate links. This means that if you click on them and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support through these affiliate links helps me keep this blog running and continue to provide helpful content. If you have any questions about the products or the affiliate process, feel free to reach out.
If you’re a friend or family member reading this right now because you are worried about your newly single friend, I love that you care enough to read this. You are the hero in this story. And if you are about to experience your first solo Christmas, don’t worry. I got you, and you’re not alone. I’m “celebrating” my second post-breakup Christmas this year, and I can tell you, you will survive this. Especially if you forward this article to your loved ones or you gift yourself any of the below wrapped up nicely under the tree this year. A gift to you, just for surviving the breakup.
So, grab your notebook, put on your favorite soca and reggae tunes, and let’s dive into this Caribbean-inspired Christmas guide that will surely help you add some fun and hope to your solo holiday season!
1. The “Island Escape” Gift Basket
If you cannot spend the holidays in the Caribbean this year, why not bring the Caribbean to you? It’s like a tropical vacation without long airport lines, TSA searches, or sunscreen. A Caribbean gift basket is all you need to bring a piece of the Caribbean right into your home! This gift basket is not just a thoughtful gesture; it’s a way of reminding you or your friend of all the great moments you’ve experienced and the even better ones yet to come.
- A bottle of Caribbean rum – Obviously! Every islander knows that rum can cure anything, even heartaches, or at least make it more bearable.
- A tropical-scented candle – Light it up for a relaxing island vibe and fill the home with the soothing scents of the Caribbean.
- A playlist full of the latest Caribbean tunes – Listening to swaying Caribbean rhythms while sipping on a tropical cocktail will definitely transport you instantly to a beachside party. Music is known to have the power to heal. And there is nothing a bit of soca, reggae, and merengue can’t cure.
- A Caribbean recipe book – Some people actually like cooking. I’m not sure why. I’m definitely not one of them. But if your friend or yourself is one of these people I’m talking about here, then a Caribbean recipe book is a must-add to this Caribbean-inspired gift basket.
I’m sure this basket will be a hit with the recipient and most probably the envy of others. If you are the giver as well as the recipient, then well done. You have excellent taste.
2. “Love Yourself” Spa Day
Who needs a lover or spouse when you’ve got You, right? Self-love, in my books, is so much better than love from a significant other anyway. This is the time when the recently single need a big injection of self-love and this gift idea is just the ticket. A gift idea that will allow me to spend the day pampering myself? Hell yeah, I want this under my tree.
- A plush bathrobe and slippers – because getting comfy and cozy is just the beginning.
- A set of luxurious bath salts and fragrant bubble bath soap – for a soothing soak, obviously, and to get rid of all that post-breakup tension.
- A nice bottle of red, rosé, or white – because no self-respecting luxurious soak starts without a sip. (If you’re a friend of mine and you’re reading this, I’ll take a bottle of Whispering Angel, please. Thank you!).
- A Caribbean-inspired scented candle – Light it up to be instantly transported to your favorite island. Beam me up, Scotty!
- A self-love journal– so you can leave all that toxicity that used to live in your relationship behind on these blank pages and where you can list all of the awesome things about yourself. Because you’re amazing.
- Add an actual Spa gift certificate for a massage, facial, mani, and pedi for extra points – a spa day at home is one thing. But a day spent at an actual spa is what every post-breakup person needs. Believe me.
Pampering yourself is an excellent way to start loving yourself and putting yourself first. This is where you start building back that self-esteem, darling. Time to remind yourself that you are deserving of love and care.
3. The “Adventure Awaits” Experience Gift
If you ask me, the best thing about a breakup is the new life we get to build. Although it can seem like the end of the world, and in a way it is, a breakup is also a fresh start. A new adventure, if you may. Get ready to rediscover the old, fun you, and embark on a new adventure. Can I get a WOOHOO?
- A gift card for an adrenaline-pumping activity – Think zip-lining, skydiving, or any kind of activity where you get to sign a waiver before actually partaking in said activity. This is where you get to dive headfirst into a new experience and a new you.
- A goals journal – there I go with my journals again. I know (insert eye-roll here). I’m obviously big on journaling. But seriously, a goals journal is great for setting daily intentions. Journaling truly is the best practice after our hearts have been pummeled to pieces. It also gives us a way to document our new journey, one new adventure at a time, and to help us set new goals for ourselves.
- A guidebook to a dream Caribbean destination – Nothing inspires better than to start planning the next great adventure.
- A ticket to a Caribbean destination – Yes, I know, this one is big. But seriously, go big or go home, am I right? Although this is definitely one of those group gifts, unless you’re that rich uncle who can afford to get your favorite niece or nephew a plane ticket, this gift idea is the best one of all. Who wouldn’t want a ticket to paradise? And if you’re reading this for gift inspirations for yourself, this is your sign to either just book that ticket or to start saving for that trip of a lifetime. Start scanning the internet for attractive deals. You can always make back the money, honey, but adventures often come with an expiry date.
This gift is an excellent way to remind anyone that life is an incredible journey and that better days are just waiting on the other side of whatever adventure lies ahead. Time to grab life by the horns, darling. Go out, explore, and discover. Being in a relationship may make you forget the fun and adventurous person you once were pre-relationship. This gift gives you the chance to rediscover your old self again.
4. “Caribbean Dream Vacation” Planner
I get it. A Caribbean getaway might not be in the immediate future for many. So, why not gift a travel planner to start dreaming and planning the next adventure? This way, we can channel our energy into creating something to look forward to.
- A travel guidebook for the Caribbean – this is a great way to start exploring the possibilities. If you need a hint, I’ve got plenty of options.
- A personalized travel journal – this is what I call encouragement. It’s also a big hint that the person receiving this should be thinking of momentarily escaping their heartbreaks and trading those tears for sun-filled, coconut scented adventures.
- A beach-themed calendar – you know, to remind you daily that paradise awaits so that you can start the big countdown 😏
- A travel consultation with a professional – If you as a friend or family member cannot get us to go for it, perhaps it’s time to call in the pro. An actual trip consultation with a pro might just be what you need to get out of your own way sometimes. And I have the best person for the job. This is where I come in with a cheeky self-promotion insert. Book a consultation with me for the islands of St. Martin, Anguilla, Statia, Saba, and Curaçao.
Instead of just a few of the above packed nicely together, why not pack it all up in a carry-on with the 8-piece packing cubes just to really get the wanderlust going? And just because it’s almost Christmas, use the code “Riselle 10” for a nice 10% Off the regular price for the cubes.
This gift is not just about planning a trip, it’s a symbol of hope, motivation, and the promise of future adventures. It’s a way to keep sane when everything else seems to be falling apart.
5. The Gift of Languages: Learning Something New
A breakup can be an opportunity to focus on personal growth and self-improvement. So, why not gift yourself or your recently single friend a language course, perhaps Spanish or French, to broaden their horizons and create new connections? Imagine Tinder with no language barrier 😂.
- An online language learning subscription – Choose a platform that suits your or your friend’s learning style. I personally am having a blast learning French with Babbel. Voulez Vous join me?
- A beautifully designed basket of books filled with inspirational words, like The Way Forward by Yung Pueblo and Glass Hearts by Kayla Mc Cullough. This isn’t necessarily a new language learning practice in the traditional sense, but it is a way to learn the language of self-love, hope, and personal growth.
- A cooking book of international recipes – this comes in handy when you want to combine language learning with a culinary exploration.
Learning a new language is not only a valuable skill but also a fantastic way to engage with different cultures and people. It’s a great way to broaden your horizons, make new friends, and get excited about future travels to places where you get to practice that new language skill.
6. The Gift of “Peace of Mind”: A Meditation & Self-Help Kit
Meditation can be a powerful tool for self-healing and growth. The gift of inner peace and self-improvement with a meditation and self-help kit might just be the best gift yet. I myself have learned so much through my daily meditations. If it wasn’t for this practice, I might have been a bitter, grinch instead of the cheerful and positive creature I am today, post-breakup.
- A guided meditation app subscription – My go-to these days is Calm, Headspace, or Insight Timer. They’re great for regular meditation practice. And I am currently looking into becoming a member of Mindvalley. Their YouTube videos have been a great source of inspiration for becoming a better me.
- A set of soothing essential oils – my favorite is absolutely lavender. I find that it keeps me calm, especially when I add a few drops to my diffuser at night. Essential oils can also help enhance your meditation experience.
- A self-help book – There is no shortage of self-help books out there. Everyone and their mother has written one, it seems. But I can tell you that my current favorites truly helped me through some dark times immediately after my separation, like Glass Hearts which is more a book of poems for the broken hearted, This was meant to to Find You, and the latest from Yung Pueblo is my bible for a positive mindset. Conscious Uncoupling by Katherine Woodward is another must-read for those who recently found themselves uncoupled.
- A cozy meditation cushion – I have been doing my meditations on whatever surface felt comfortable but this meditation cushion has been on my wish list for a while. Hopefully, Santa sees how good of a girl I’ve been this year and gets me one of these under the tree.
- Noise-canceling headphones – as a passionate meditator (is that even a word?) I have learned that meditating with headphones on makes a whole world of difference. It allows you to really shut out the world, and noises around you and allow for you to go deeper in your subconsciousness.
This gift is all about nurturing your mental and emotional well-being during what is supposed to be a challenging time. And it is. But, believe me when I say that meditation and journaling do wonders to clear up all that chaos in your mind and the hurt in your heart. It has helped me put everything in its place and feel all I had to feel to get to a place of peace.
7. Gadgets for Easier Living: Tech to Make Life More Convenient
With the right gadgets, life as a newly single person can become much more manageable. Imagine not having to worry about vacuuming your apartment or making coffee in the morning. I remember those days immediately after the break up, when getting out of bed seemed like I was about to run a 10K marathon. Your energy level is low, you don’t feel like doing anything, simple routines like taking a shower or washing your hair can seem like hard work. Consider gifting yourself or your friend some practical tech tools to simplify daily routines.
- Amazon Echo Dot – to play music, set reminders, and answer questions with just a voice command.
- Roomba Robot Vacuum – to keep your space tidy without having to actually get our of bed. This little baby has been a Godsend.
- Kindle – for a convenient way to enjoy books, including self-help titles.
- A fitness tracker – to help you stay active and track your well-being. The one I have been eyeing for a while is the Apple Watch, just because it is so much more than just a fitness tracker.
- A Smart Coffee Maker – so you can have your coffee ready and waiting for you every morning or better yet, make yourself a cuppa from your bed or wherever you happen to be with the remote feature.
- Electric Wine Opener – because the last thing you need is to struggle to open a wine bottle when you most need therapy in a glass.
These gadgets can help you regain control of your life and find comfort in the convenience they offer.
8. The “Express Yourself” Art Gift Set to Channel Creativity
Creating art can be incredibly therapeutic during times of emotional drama. Gift yourself or your newly single friend a set of high-quality art supplies to help you or them express feelings and emotions through a creative outlet. Basically, paint your sadness away.
- A sketchbook or canvas pad – Much like your life after a break up, art too requires a blank canvas to start with. There really is nothing like a fresh blank canvas to stir up the imagination and to get you to create a new piece of art and a new life.
- Acrylic paints, watercolors, or colored pencils – Now that you have that blank canvas it’s time to create something new and beautiful, and you’re gonna need paint or pencils to experiment with.
- Brushes, palette, and other essential tools – While you can make beautiful art with just your fingers and some paint, most of us require some essential tools.
- Art classes or workshops – Why not get yourself or your friend some art classes? This will definitely get you to focus on something different than your ex for a while. Sip and Paint classes are also a great way to spend the evening creatively.
- Coloring books – Not everyone is an artist. Coloring can be beautifully therapeutic. It allows you to spend time with yourself, being creative and focused.
With these gift ideas, you have a wide range of choices to bring joy, hope, and support to your heartbroken friend or yourself during the first post-breakup Christmas. Whether it’s planning a future vacation, learning a new language, finding inner peace, or making life more convenient, your thoughtful gesture will surely light up their holiday season and offer them a path to a brighter tomorrow. And if this list has inspired you to gift yourself a special holidays cheer, than my work here is done.
So, my lovely friends, embrace the Caribbean spirit, pamper yourself, and get ready for a new adventure. And remember, you’re never alone when you’ve got the warm spirit of the islands and the love of friends and family to keep you company.
Wishing you a festive and fabulous holiday season filled with laughter, love, and the promise of brighter tomorrows. Cheers to you, and to new beginnings!